With just a few days to go before the project starts properly I really need to get a move on with my prep work, but it is causing me a few problems…
So with the brief trip to the lake over I went back to my beading. Even though I had a meter of thread left I thought it might be best to knot it as if I had finished the thread, then if the worst happened in another part I could happily cut it off and add a new thread.
Then came tying off the tail end. I popped the needle onto the tail and weaved it through a few beads.
It was at this point I realised just how tight my tension was, I had problems tying off the thread. When I finally got the needle through where I wanted I heard a rather soul destroying crunch that was one of the delicas breaking.
Yes I was a little gutted but learn from your mistakes I’ll start again and this time I’ll knot the tail end before I get onto beading in the 15’s. That way the tension won’t be as tight and I’ll not risk the same happening again.
So starting again, I got all three rows of delica done and knotted off the tail. that wasn’t going anywhere, I was happy and continued with the beading. It did make the whole thing a little tighter going round but it was manageable.
Then onto the 15’s, I did the two rounds for the front and weaved through to the back. I checked at this point to see if the rivoli was going to fit and it was lucky I did because if I had done the first round of 15’s on the back I wouldn’t have been able to fit the rivoli in.
I completed the first rivoli again and this time opted not to knot the longer end, after all I didn’t really need to I was only going to so I had it secured if needed when I might make a mistake in the next steps. I’ll just have to try and not make a mistake.
Onto the second one, feeling a little more confident now, knotting the tail after the delica rounds again. I think this one may have been a little tighter though because as I was zipping up the back part I crunched one of the 15’s. Typically it had to be one from the bezel and not from the bit I had just stitched or I could have just worked backwards a little.
So start again on that one, but I was over stressed at this point and after knotting the tail I found that I hadn’t even stitched the delicas right. (answers on a postcard on how you mess up peyote) I had to stop for a bit.
Now we are just a couple of days away from the first days instructions being released and I only have one rivoli prepped. On the facebook page Jean has told me not to worry as I can always do a rivoli a day with my normal beading but I hope that I can get a few more done before Saturday.
The moral of the story
Check your tension. It’s a lot easier to tighten up slightly loose bead work than it is to try and force a needle through a stitch that is too tight!